Thursday, August 8, 2013

I'm Jennie and I'm the intern.

I am doing an internship this summer. It is seriously the greatest thing I could have decided to do with my summer.
I am working with the DCFS (Division of Child and Family Services) Drug Court team. I get to meet so many humans who are trying to make their life better. And the caseworkers who honestly truly care about them and want them to get better so they can take care of their children.

Yes, it is hard. There are days that I come home and I am so sad and just can't believe some people. I don't think life is fair to a lot of children in the world. All kids deserve happy, safe, functioning homes with people who love them, and there are too many kids that don't have that opportunity and don't even know what it's like. I see parents doing drugs and neglecting their children. It's all quite sad.
But you know what else I've seen? Parents working harder than they've ever worked in their lives to get clean so they can get their gets back. I've seen goals reached successfully. I've seen children who are finally  in safe environments and are being cared for.

I love working with people. I have realized even more strongly that I want to be a social worker. I want to help people when they are at their lowest and give them the encouragement and inspiration that they need to take steps forward. I want to care for people because they are human beings and they deserve the best in the world. I want to be able to look past a person's flaws and see them for who they can become and help them to get there. I just really think that everyone deserves multiple chances to succeed and access to all the resources possible to help them do so.
That's what an internship is supposed to be, isn't it? Giving me direction in my life and showing me what I do and do not want to do with my career. I'm a big fan.

No comments :

Post a Comment

You might also like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...